Monday, January 2, 2012

SO much adventure - Part 2

Another adventure arrived at the doorstep the next day, with a bunch of mtbdirters tackling Derek's Southside Epic Ride.

No photo's from my end, but Neil has an excellent blog you should look at - http://blog.neilennis.com/

I rode from Daisy Hill and met the boys at the top carpark, we then went onto Cornubia, Bayview, and the valley way shops. From here, Neil, myself and Andrew headed back via Karingal and the pony trails, then onto Avalon Ford Rd home.

For me it was about 55km, the rest of the group clocked somewhere near 85+km. An excellent ride with great organisation from Derek!

Thanks Neil for the photo - See more at his blog!
On the training front, I finished my first 2 weeks of high cadence riding (thank god). I don't know whether it will change my pedalling technique but I am definately 'aware' of it now when I ride.

I have started the first few days of Aerobic Endurance riding (or Base training as some call it). I used to think this would be an easy task but it is extremely difficult to keep your heart rate between certain numbers. Riders apparently get used to what gear to be in when etc, for now though I am experimenting both on the road bike and on the mtbike as to what works best for me.

The rides are meant to be easy, but they all consist of 2:30 (hour:min) rides, and when you are used to only riding a couple of hours here and there it's a big change riding 16+ hours a week over 5/6 days. I am committing myself to these hours now though, as when I go back to work I will need more free time for other things.

Hard weeks ahead mentally I think... when grandma's are passing me on the river loop and Dave is passing me on the mtbike I have to remember to keep my heart rate in the zone (which = stay in granny ring!)

Kidding Dave - Enjoy :)

3 comments:

  1. "= stay in granny ring".....very convenient for you mate. Your normal selection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dean, I hope that was a joke about the granny ring. It takes time to adjust and might feel easy to begin with but its important to target this endurance tempo riding. Maybe you can increase the zone up by 5 bpm. Jim

    ReplyDelete